Trump Cuts US-South Korea Military Drills: What Changes and Why Kim Jong Un Matters

The troops were ready. The exercises were hours away. Then Donald Trump changed the plan.

The US president ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” America’s participation in Ulchi Freedom Shield, the annual military exercise with South Korea designed to prepare both allies for a possible North Korean attack. Trump called the drills expensive and accused them of sending an “inappropriate and hostile” signal to Pyongyang. He also praised North Korea as “unthreatening and respectful” during his presidency and invoked his “very good relationship” with Kim Jong Un.

The timing was extraordinary. North Korea had launched two missiles in less than a week, condemned the exercises and threatened to strengthen its nuclear deterrent. South Korea had also fired warning shots after North Korean soldiers briefly crossed the border. Trump’s order has now created an unusual military puzzle. Seoul says the 11-day exercise will begin and proceed as announced. Washington has not publicly explained which forces, activities or scenarios will be cut. Here is what Ulchi Freedom Shield involves, what Trump has ordered and why a last-minute reduction could reverberate far beyond the Korean Peninsula.

What exactly did Trump order?

Trump instructed US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea. “Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea,” Trump wrote on Truth Social. He said it was too late to cancel the exercises completely but described them as costly and a hostile signal to North Korea. Trump did not explain what “substantially reduce” would mean in operational terms. He did not identify which troops, aircraft, ships, command-post simulations or field exercises would be withdrawn. The Pentagon also did not immediately release a detailed account of how it would implement the order, according to Reuters.

Have the exercises been cancelled?

No. Ulchi Freedom Shield began as scheduled on August 17 and is due to continue until August 27. South Korea’s Defence Ministry said the exercise would “proceed as previously notified and scheduled”, according to Al Jazeera. That does not mean the exercise will remain unchanged. South Korean forces can continue with the announced schedule while the Pentagon reduces American personnel, equipment or participation in particular components. The absence of operational detail means the full effect may become clear only as the exercise unfolds.

What is Ulchi Freedom Shield?

Ulchi Freedom Shield is an annual US-South Korea exercise intended to test their ability to respond to a military attack and other emergencies on the Korean Peninsula. Around 18,000 South Korean troops are participating in the 2026 edition. American forces and personnel from several members of the United Nations Command are also involved. The exercise combines computer-simulated command operations with field training. This year’s scenarios include responses to drones, GPS disruption and cyberattacks as the allies adapt to North Korea’s changing military capabilities. The drills also support the South Korean government’s civil emergency preparations. US Forces Korea says combined exercises are designed to validate military readiness and improve coordination between American and South Korean forces. Its description of the wider Freedom Shield programme calls such training essential to the alliance’s defensive posture.

Why does Trump want the drills reduced?

Trump has offered three reasons: cost, diplomacy with Kim and South Korea’s refusal to support US action against Iran. He argues that the exercises consume American resources and undermine his relationship with the North Korean leader. Trump said Pyongyang had been “unthreatening and respectful” during his presidency, making a large military exercise appear unnecessarily provocative. He also said he had asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether Seoul would join the US in the “denuclearisation” of Iran and received the answer: “No thanks!” Trump’s decision therefore appears to combine his effort to reopen diplomacy with Kim with frustration over what he sees as inadequate support from an ally. The White House has not explained what form of participation it requested from South Korea in relation to Iran or why Seoul’s refusal should affect military preparedness on the Korean Peninsula.

Why is Trump linking South Korea to Iran?

The link suggests Trump is viewing the military alliance through a wider transactional lens. South Korea relies on the US security commitment against North Korea. Trump appears to be signalling that American support cannot be separated from what Washington expects Seoul to contribute elsewhere. South Korea, however, faces different strategic calculations in Iran. Joining American action could expose its energy supplies, shipping interests and citizens to greater risk while dragging it into a conflict far from the Korean Peninsula. Critics may see the linkage as punishing Seoul in one theatre for refusing Washington in another. Trump may regard it as burden-sharing: an ally receiving American military support should be prepared to support US objectives beyond its immediate region.

Why does North Korea oppose the exercises?

Pyongyang describes US-South Korea exercises as rehearsals for invasion and possible regime change. Washington and Seoul insist they are defensive and necessary to deter a nuclear-armed North Korea. Pyongyang argues that the scale, weaponry and operational scenarios reveal aggressive intent. North Korea’s Foreign Ministry recently accused the US, South Korea and Japan of developing a “nuclear alliance”. It warned that Pyongyang would answer a higher level of threat with a stronger nuclear deterrent, according to Reuters. The drills have repeatedly become part of a familiar cycle. North Korea tests missiles and expands its arsenal. The allies increase readiness. Pyongyang cites that preparation as justification for more weapons development.

Has North Korea really been “unthreatening”?

Trump’s description reflects his assessment of Kim’s conduct towards his administration. It does not match the wider military picture. North Korea launched a ballistic missile from Wonsan on August 11, its second suspected missile launch in less than a week. The projectile travelled more than 700 kilometres before falling into the sea between the Korean Peninsula and Japan. Pyongyang continues to expand its nuclear weapons and missile programmes. It has also deepened military cooperation with Russia and reportedly gained battlefield experience through its involvement in the Ukraine war. Days before Trump’s order, North Korean soldiers briefly crossed the Military Demarcation Line in the eastern section of the Demilitarized Zone. South Korean troops fired warning shots, prompting them to retreat. The crossing may have been accidental, but it underlined how quickly tension along the border can escalate.

Why could reducing the drills weaken military readiness?

American and South Korean forces operate different command systems, weapons and communications networks. Joint exercises test whether they can function as one force during a crisis. Reducing training can mean fewer opportunities to practise command decisions, move troops, coordinate aircraft and artillery, respond to cyberattacks or manage a rapidly escalating confrontation. The concern is particularly acute because North Korea’s capabilities are changing. Its forces have developed drones, missile systems, electronic warfare tools and cyber operations that demand new defensive responses. Computer simulations can test senior command structures, but they cannot fully reproduce the logistical and operational pressures of moving personnel and equipment in the field. A single reduced exercise would not dismantle the alliance. Repeated cuts could gradually weaken interoperability and readiness.

Could the reduction help restart diplomacy with Kim Jong Un?

Possibly. That appears to be part of Trump’s calculation. North Korea has long demanded that Washington end or reduce joint exercises. Scaling them back offers Kim something he values without immediately lifting sanctions or formally recognising North Korea as a nuclear state. Trump used a similar approach after his 2018 summit with Kim in Singapore, when he called the exercises “provocative” and “expensive” and suspended major drills. The concession helped create diplomatic space but did not produce a lasting denuclearisation agreement. Talks eventually collapsed, while North Korea continued developing its nuclear and missile capabilities. Reducing the current exercise could reopen communication. It could also allow Kim to accept the concession without offering anything in return.

How might South Korea view Trump’s decision?

Seoul is likely to see both an opportunity and a warning. President Lee has called for dialogue with North Korea and proposed formally ending the Korean War. A reduction in military activity could support his effort to lower tensions. The manner of Trump’s announcement, however, raises concerns. The order came hours before the exercise and appeared to link alliance readiness to an unrelated disagreement over Iran. South Korea must now demonstrate that the alliance remains credible while avoiding a public confrontation with the US president. The decision could also revive questions over whether Washington might change security commitments based on Trump’s relationship with Kim or his assessment of how much South Korea contributes to American priorities.

Does this affect the 28,500 US troops stationed in South Korea?

Trump did not announce a troop withdrawal. Approximately 28,500 American military personnel remain stationed in South Korea as part of the alliance’s deterrence against Pyongyang. Reducing an exercise is different from reducing the permanent US military presence. It can still affect the amount and quality of training those forces receive with their South Korean counterparts. The announcement may also intensify debate over the future cost and size of the American deployment, issues Trump has repeatedly raised.

What happens next?

The first question is how the Pentagon translates “substantially reduce” into military orders after the exercise has already begun. Washington could cut personnel, aircraft movements, field manoeuvres or the duration of specific components. It could also preserve command-post simulations while shrinking visible field activity to send Pyongyang a diplomatic signal. The next question is whether Kim responds. North Korea could welcome the reduction, ignore it, demand further concessions or continue missile testing. The final test will be whether Trump’s gesture produces dialogue. He has reduced a military exercise to protect a relationship with Kim Jong Un. The strategic gamble is whether Kim treats that as an opening for diplomacy or proof that pressure makes Washington retreat.

(With inputs from ANI)

添加评论
点赞收藏
点踩分享查看原文
评论
?
参与讨论